E-Science certificates are obtained from the UK e-Science Certificate Authority (CA). Applications are made through their website. Prior to applying for a certificate, thoroughly read the documentation on the application process.
The process of applying for a certificate at UCL is as follows:
- An application is made through the Certificate Authority website. You will be required to set a PIN code for the application.
- The application is sent to the UCL Registration Authority (RA) based in the Kathleen Lonsdale Building.
- A member of the RA staff will contact you to arrange a time for you to visit them. When you visit you will be required to show photographic identification - either a UCL ID card or passport - and enter the application PIN set in step 1. Applicants who are not UCL staff members will also be required to bring a letter signed by their project PI authorising the certificate. A sample letter can be found here.
- After the RA has approved the request the certificate will be issued by the CA. This usually happens within 24 hours.
- You will be sent an email once the certificate has been issued containing a URL to download it. Note that it is essential that this download is made from the same web browser used to make the initial request. Consult the CA documentation linked above for further details.
Once the certificate has been issued, read and carry out the instructions on caring for your certificate. The instructions cover exporting your certificate from your web browser to a P12 format file, and also preparing your certificate for use with the Globus toolkit.
Applying for an NGS Account
In order to access NGS resources you will need a certificate issued by the UK e-Science CA (see instructions above). Apply for an NGS account at the NGS site. Ensure that you make the application using a web browser containing your e-Science certificate in its certificate store (such as the browser used to make your initial certificate request). After your application has been submitted, reviewed and approved, you will receive an email from the NGS with your account details. This process can take up to 7 days.