Official site: http://exclaim.org.uk/.
The Clay-Polymer Nanocomposite Group consists of a
collaboration of researchers at three leading UK
Universities, working together to gain a fuller
understanding of clay-polymer nanocomposite
The five principal objectives of the project are:
- To design and synthesise libraries of 'monomer'
additives which can intercalate clay galleries and be
capable of crosslinking or polymerisation in
- To define the range of minerals which can be
incorporated in nanocomposites with appropriate
pretreatments, and in so doing delineate the
- To explore processing (shape forming) operations
for nanocomposites of both low and high mineral
- To prepare bulk nanocomposites at varying mineral
volume fractions for mechanical testing as a function
of orientation (modulus, Poisson's ratio, toughness,
strength) and for moisture and heat
- To develop a fundamental understanding of the molecular mechanisms of intercalation and polymerisation within the clay galleries using molecular simulation and informatics-based techniques.
The research is funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council under the Chemistry at the Materials Interface funding initiative.